Thursday, February 2, 2012

Brownies, yum!

Instead of the normal Thrifty Thursday post, I am bringing you a delicious and easy brownie recipe because everyone knows brownies are the best. They help out with dreary and disgusting winter days and Melinda is too busy meeting a work deadline to tell me no :)


Since I did not have unsweetened chocolate, I added an extra 4 tablespoons of butter and 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder.



In a double boiler, melt 
1/2 cup butter
4 oz. Unsweetened chocolate
Let this cool.
Beat together until light and foamy
4 eggs

1/2 tsp. Salt
Gradually add 
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
While still beating
With a few swift strokes combine the cooled chocolate mixture into the eggs and sugar. Even if you normally use an electric mixer, do this part manually. Before the mixture becomes uniformly colored, stir in gently, 
1 cup sifted all-purpose flower (I didn't sift.. naughty me)
Nuts are optional, but I'm not a fan
Bake at 350°F, in a 9x13 inch pan for about 25 minutes. Cut when cool. 
(From the 1932 edition of The Joy of Cooking)

1 comment:

  1. btw, this is the first successful batch of brownies I have ever made. High school Briana is thrilled at the downfall of the Brownie reign over her kitchen skills.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers!