Thursday, December 19, 2013

DIY Giant Glitter Monogram

This morning, I showed you how I mongramed my blank wall using giant glittery letters. These letters were originally for my wedding and are now part of my low budget Christmas decor. Now here is that tutorial I promised.

One part of the monogram at my wedding reception

It is ridiculously simple. You need paper maché letters, mod podge, glitter, and a ton of space. I bought these 23.5 inch paper maché letters from Joann's - that will be $30 for a three letter monogram, but there are smaller options that are cheaper. I used Martha Stewart fine glitter that I bought at Michael's with a 50% off coupon. Always use those coupons!

You can see why I needed the 23.5" letters!
The most important part of this project is that you have plenty of space. You need a glittering zone and a drying zone. I had a whole table set up for glittering projects because I can't help myself when it comes to glitter and the wedding was a perfect excuse to let loose.

In your glittering zone, you want to brush on mod podge in segments on the top of the letter and then sprinkle/dump the glitter on top. Don't put glitter over all your mod podge - you want to leave a bit of mod podge bare so that you can continue mod podging without getting your brush covered in the glitter you just dumped. Move your letter to the drying area with paper underneath.

drying zone, sides are bare on the R


Once the top of the letter is dry, you want to take a stiff paint brush and brush off the excess glitter. Save this glitter for the other parts of the letter, because there will be a lot that comes off! Move your letter back to your glittering area for mod podging and glittering the sides. No need to do the back of the letter if it will not be seen. Repeat the drying and brushing process.


do you like the china mod podge dish?

 As you can see in the picture above, the glitter does not stick perfectly the first time around. Go ahead and slap some mod podge and glitter over those bare spots. After the second round of mod podge, glitter, and brushing I did not have any more empty spots.

See! Super easy! See how I used these same exact letters in my Christmas decor!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers!