Monday, March 26, 2012

Munchie Monday: Avocado Smoothie (?!?!)

Briana and I have a deep and abiding love for avocados...mmmm....obsession actually might be a better word.  While we love our guacamole and chips, we will also take them plain with a fork.  We spent many a night eating just an avocado for dinner (with lots of berries for dessert!), topped with a little bit of Lawry's seasoning salt (aka my special magic), tons of lime juice, and two kinds of hot sauce drizzled over the top.  On the rare occasion I have had avocado ice cream and I loved it!  However, sadly without an ice cream machine (which I'm better off without) this treat doesn't come my way very often.

In my quest for wedding weight loss, I've been trying to find ways to get more veggies in my life at more meals to fill up my tummy.  In my quest for lifelong happiness, I've been trying to find ways to get more avacado in my life.  See how these two coincide?

I recently came across this recipe for an avocado smoothie with about 215 calories and it is yummy (don't knock it until you try it!):

Avocado Smoothie (for 1) 
1/2 an avocado (squirt lime juice on the leftover half and leave the seed inside, it will keep it from turning brown)
juice from 1/2 a lime
1 granny smith apple cored and chopped
1/2 cup water

Blend together all ingredients.  If you need it to be cold, throw a few ice cubes in.  When making smoothies for one, I recommend shelling out the $30 for a personal sized blender like this Bella Cucina model from Target (I bought mine on sale for $20).  It's really really easy to clean and you save time in the morning because the blending jar can also be used as a to-go cup (it comes with lids).

If you have any yummy wonderful suggestions for using avocados, please let us know!  We eat them anyway we can get them (except for Briana, she won't always eat them in Boston because they are too far from their natural habitat).

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers!