Monday, October 31, 2011

Munchie Monday: Roasted Tomato Soup

I hope you enjoyed the previous post! If you are not a fan of fried things (gasp! do those people even exist?!), you will probably enjoy this recipe a lot more.

I am not a soup person. I refuse to acknowledge whatever health benefits it may have for sick people and I do not enjoy eating it. Well, other than hot and sour soup and tomato soup.* A few weeks ago, I decided I was in the mood for some tomato soup. However, since I am a future housewife I thought I should put a bit more effort into the meal than opening some Campbells. My sister Natalia sent this Roasted Tomato Soup recipe to me and I knew I had to try it out (btw I highly suggest you check out that blog, it has some delicious recipes!). I did not do the cheese crust on top and opted for regular oven baked grilled cheese sandwiches instead.

J believes that it is a snack if there is no meat, but he did not even notice that I went vegetarian on him for the night! He also said that this was the best meal I had made for him, second only to my cast iron fried chicken. And now here is my altered version of the delicious recipe.

Ingredients

  • 3 lb plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 large garlic cloves (mine were peeled)
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme, basil and a pinch of oregano
  • 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper (yum! spicy)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 and wrap garlic in tin foil
  2. Put tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and add oil, salt and pepper then mix
  3. Spread tomatoes out on a cookie sheet and add the tin foil garlic packet
  4. Switch oven to broil and put cookie sheet on the top rack for about 5 minutes
  5. Switch oven back to bake at 400. The tomatoes should take about 45 minutes at this point, but check every so often to make sure they are not burning.
  6. Unwrap garlic packet and put garlic and tomatoes in a food processer. Blend until it is a consistency to your liking (mine was entirely smooth). 
  7. Pour tomato mixture into a pot and add chicken broth, herbs and red pepper. Bring to boil and then simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes. You can alter cook time so that it is the consistency that you want.
  8. Eat and enjoy!


*It amuses J to no end that I hate soup and I hate tomatoes, but I love tomato soup



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers!