Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thrifty Thursday: Reuse Greeting Cards Part II

As I explained last week on Thrifty Thursday, I have a serious inability to part with greeting cards and it takes me six months to let go (I hate throwing stationary away), so I've been trying to find other ways to reuse them. I've often gotten hand painted cards or printed cards using artist prints that are just so pretty. I remember using greeting cards to make pictures for my dorm room in college and I think that it's a great way to make cheap artwork for your apartment, house, or dorm room. My mom and I used artist signed greeting cards from a local gift shop to make a couple of small pictures for my dorm. While they were like $8-$10 each, i.e. far too expensive to actually send to someone, they were very pretty and we wanted to find a way to use them. We purchased 5 x 7 picture frames from the dollar store and a couple of thin picture mats from the craft store. Make sure to get frames that have a hook for hanging on the wall and not the kind you stand up on your mantle (next to pictures of your dog and your dear Aunt Myrtle). You just take the greeting card and cut it down to fit the mat. Then tape the card to the back of the mat at the top and bottom to keep it from moving around. Slide the matted cards into the frame and you've gotten some easy, great new pictures for hanging around your home! I think this is a great way to decorate small spaces like your bathroom or kitchen, so keep an eye out for those handy Hallmark cards in your mailbox, I bet they will look wonderful on your wall!

2 comments:

  1. you are so crafty! i will definitely have you help me decorate my future house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea! I've thought about doing this with Christmas Cards to decorate my home for the holidays but I've never gotten around to it. Maybe I will try it this year.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers!