Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Trousseau Tuesday: Mad Men and Fashion

Dear readers, I must confess, I think I was born in the wrong era. I don't enjoy leggings, rompers, skinny jeans, jeggings, or booties. I can't pull off the boho look and I don't give off that downtown edgy feel. Don't get me wrong, I love fashion, accessories, and shoes...but sometimes I think the "it" look goes horribly awry. I love tailored pieces, nipped in waist dresses, and feminine fashion from the 40s, 50s, and early 60s. That's why I was SUPER excited to find out that Banana Republic was putting together a small collection based on the AMC TV series Mad Men. If you haven't checked out the series, it's a drama about an advertising agency in the early 60s. I'll be honest, I haven't seen too many episodes, but what I do know is the fashion trend that is making a come back thanks to two stars of the show, January Jones and Christina Hendricks.

I stopped in the Banana last week while I was on vacation and did a little looking around. I found that while the Mad Men collection is on the small side, a lot of the other Banana Republic pieces for the fall will blend right in.

My favorite Mad Men picks are this animal print sweater ($89.50), bow blouse ($89.50), lace shell ($49.50), and jacket ($175). I mostly picked tops because I realize that the matchstick pants, full skirts, and sheath dresses featured in this collection are not flattering on every body type. However, these tops can be paired in a ton of different ways to either keep with the Mad Men look (i.e. pencil skirt, slim pants, or fluffy circle skirt) or to add some retro flair to a more modern outfit (i.e. pair of jeans, wide leg pants, or LBD). There are a couple of other pieces that would also fit right in like this blouse ($79.50) or this skirt ($98.00).

Overall, I think this capsule collection is worth taking a look at to add a few pieces to your fall wardrobe.* If you are interested in adding some retro fun to your wardrobe, Banana Republic offers free shipping for any purchases over $50.

* I'm always so sad to see summer go and realize that I'm about to endure another cold DC winter. In order to struggle through, I'll have to comfort myself with a new scarf, the promise of pretty fall leaves, and the return of the pumpkin spice latte!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers!