Monday, August 1, 2011

Munchie Monday: Pasta!

I love love love pasta. But since I like to avoid chunks of tomato, I prefer to pseudo make my own sauce. I tried measuring but forgot so bear with me. You can add most of the ingredients according to your taste.

Sauce, herbs, and check out
my grape spoon holder! I
found it in Marshalls for
cheap!
Ingredients:
Box of pasta
Two regular cans of tomato sauce (just tomato sauce, no icky preservatives or sugar substitutes)
Grated romano cheese
Dried Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Crushed Red Pepper
Minced garlic
Red wine (J keeps undrank but opened red wine for cooking purposes - I am assuming it is dry)
Salt and pepper
Two chopped yellow onions
Olive oil





Instructions:

  1. Heat up olive oil in a large sauce pan and add onions. Cook and stir regularly until onions are soft and very slightly brown.
  2. Add minced garlic and stir into onions - don't let the garlic brown.
  3. Add tomato sauce and wine. I add enough to turn it a reddish burgundy color but I also can drink red wine vinegar, so add the wine slowly and taste frequently.
  4. Add grated cheese and crushed red pepper. The sauce gets spicier if you add the pepper earlier, less so if you add it later. If you add too much cheese, add more wine. If you add too much wine, add more cheese. These flavors balance each other nicely.
  5. Stir! Stirring is fun! Also, add the dried herbs. Rosemary goes a long way so be careful. Basil is the most traditional tomato sauce flavor so you can add more of that than the other herbs. Also add some salt and pepper.
  6. Now you want to reduce your sauce by letting it cook at about medium low for a while. If you like thicker sauce, cook it longer. If you like thinner sauce, start boiling the pasta water when you add the cheese.
  7. Drain cooked pasta and put it into the sauce pan with the sauce (minimizing clean up).
  8. Eat!




Yum! J has such pretty pasta bowls :)
Also, very yellow lighting..








No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers!