Friday, August 26, 2011

Fresh Idea Friday: Breaking in Your Shoes

Like many women out there, I have a weakness for a pretty shoe. I've bought shoes that I knew would hurt my feet but make my legs look great. I've also bought shoes knowing they will make an outfit look beautiful, even though I don't have that outfit in my closet at that moment. Finally, I've bought shoes knowing that they would be "sitting" shoes only (i.e. no distance treks from a DC metro stop to a restaurant four blocks away).

I'm not at a stage in my life where I'm willing to give up the heels for the orthopedics, but I'm sure that day will come. Until then, I've come across a few tips to share to making the pain a little bit more bearable.

1. If you are trying to break in a new pair of leather shoes, rub vaseline around the back of the shoe or on the straps to soften them up. You may have to give it a couple of coats, but this definitely works!

2. Invest in Blister Block! This is designed to be rubbed on your skin in places that you are more likely to get blisters. You have to rub a good coat of this on before putting on your shoes and heading out the door. Keep it with you in your purse so that you can reapply in the ladies room. Since it's small, I keep it with me always.



3. For those of us who have wide feet, take your shoes to a cobbler/shoe repair place. They can stretch your leather shoes to make them wider for a small fee. Nordstrom and Dillards will also stretch your shoes for free while you shop around.

4. Invest in heel pads or foot pads to give you more cushion as you are walking around. I have a friend who swears by Foot Petals. I like this assortment because they come in multiple colors.




5. Don't buy plastic or vinyl shoes! These are very hard to break in and cannot be stretched. If money is a concern, there are plenty of pretty leather shoes on sale out there. Please buy them and stay away from the plastic!


What about y'all? Do you have any good tips to share that will keep us stylish but painfree? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers!