Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Posh Purpose Review: Sephora Purifying Brush Shampoo

I think every woman should have a nice set of makeup brushes.  You don't have to wander around with a bazillion brushes like the makeup artist from X-Men or your local makeup counter salesperson, but a handful of really decent brushes makes applying cosmetics much easier.  My go to set of basic brushes includes one for concealer, foundation, powder, eye shadow, bronzer, and blush.  If you have those and an eyelash curler and tweezers, you should be set!  My brushes tend to get pretty gunked up after regular use and I've tried a few different methods for cleaning the brushes - soap and water, makeup remover towelettes, and Bare Minerals brush cleaner - but none of them worked that well.  I read a tutorial a few months ago on Fashionable Hostess on cleaning your brushes and it recommended the Sephora brand Purifying Brush Shampoo.  I decided to give it a go and ordered the small bottle for $7.

Sephora Purifying Brush Shampoo
$7-$15
Image Source: Sephora

Here's the before of my gross brushes in desperate need of cleaning.  My brushes are a mixture of Nordstrom and Bare Escentuals brand (the eye shadow brush came with the Urban Decay Naked Palette, but I kept using it after I had used up the palette).  I followed the instructions which basically consist of squirting some product in the palm of your hand, repeatedly wetting the brush and swirling it around the soap, rinsing until clean, patting dry and reshaping the brush, and then letting air dry.  I used two car shammies to blot the brushes and to lay the brushes on to dry.


Here is the after!  The biggest difference is in the bronzer and blush brushes which are now back to their normal white....but also check out the concealer brush (far left) and the eye shadow brush (middle).  Notice that the tips of the brushes are a different color now?


I've now used the Sephora Purifying Brush Shampoo twice on my brushes and it has worked out great!  The first time, my brushes were seriously nasty and it took me about 30 minutes to get them clean.  This time it was much easier since I had only let about 6 weeks pass before cleaning them again.  It took me about 15 minutes to clean them up.  My brushes feel much softer and cleaner now and I feel better about using them (no more icky bacteria on my face!).  I've only used a small bit of product, so I would feel comfortable recommending the smaller size at $7 since it should last you through several cleanings, which keeps you from shelling out $15 for brush cleaner and from having to store a bigger bottle (mine fits perfectly in the medicine cabinet).  Anyone else tried out this product?  Let us know in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers!