Friday, May 30, 2014

Posh Purpose Recipe: Coconut Protein Shake

I've been experimenting lately with making protein smoothies for breakfast when Mr. 3 isn't in town (he usually makes me an omelet everyday when he is here...sweet man!).  I've finally come up with one that is delicious, nutritious, and keeps me from getting hungry until about 12:30 PM. 

 
Posh Purpose Coconut Protein Shake
 
1 cup whole milk (I insist on whole milk.  My doctor told me recently that if you take the fat out of dairy, you are basically left with a pile of carbs which raises your blood sugar and won't keep you full for long!)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (look for a low carb kind, you want one with around 2 carbs per scoop)
1 tbs. almond butter (look for one without sugar or any other sweetener or any other chemicals)
1 tbs. coconut oil
2 tbs chia seeds
Healthy dash of cinnamon
4 ice cubes
 
Put the milk in the blender and add the rest of the ingredients with the ice cubes going in last.  Blend.  If you like a thicker smoothie add more ice, but I like to drink mine quickly in the morning when I don't have time to stop for brain freezes.  Makes 1 serving.
 
This smoothie is high in protein, healthy fats, and loads of good for you vitamins. The total calorie count is around 550 calories depending on your choice of protein powder which may sound a bit high...but I've been able to cut out my mid-morning snack with no issue which balances everything out!  I love the taste and it reminds me a bit of horchata which is delicious! 
 
Briana is off to a wedding in Kentucky for the weekend and I plan on hanging out at the pool for at least a few hours.  Hope everyone has a fun weekend...and perhaps a coconut shake!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers!