Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Trend Alert: Tasteful Animal Print

I can't believe that I'm actually about to type this, but I'm really liking animal prints these days! I've been anti-animal print ever since I worked for a year at Linens N' Things (anyone remember that store???) and I saw more than one lady buying tiger and cheetah coordinating bed in a bag sets and bath room collections.  It was the late 90s.  I doubt any of them were ever asked to appear in a home decor magazine.  

Animal prints have come a long way since that time and I'm happy to see them used in a more subtle and tasteful way - as opposed to the garish orange and black tiger stripe of (thankfully) long ago.  I think the key to keeping it classy and traditional is to use high quality fabrics and papers in neutral or subtle colors.  A couple of weeks ago, I instagrammed the perfect example of animal print done right from Traditional Home (however, please ignore the ugly yellow walls and oddly placed sculpture).


Image Source: Traditional Home
After a quick search, I found out that the fabric is a velvet called Leopold from Clarke & Clarke aaaand it also comes in this beautiful aqua color.  I would totally consider upholstering seats or chair backs in this fabric.
Leopold Velvet in Aqua from Clarke & Clarke
Image Source: Clarke & Clarke

I'm also loving this cheetah wallpaper for a home office or dream closet.  I think I like it because it's a close cousin to a polka dot!

Thibaut Tanzania Wallpaper
Image Source: La Dolce Vita 
Evidently, you can also find a similar fabric for a great looking chair.  I think this type of pattern would look best on smaller scale furniture such as benches or stools.

Image Source: Style Me Pretty Living
Finally, I recently discovered that Williams-Sonoma Home has a really nice selection of hand knotted rugs including this cheetah rug.  Priced at $5,295 - $10,295, this wool silk rug is waaaaay more than anything I could ever consider spending...BUT it is a great example of how an animal print rug can work in a room as a patterned neutral.

Suzanne Kaslar Cheetah Wool & Silk Rug
Image Source: Williams-Sonoma
What do y'all think?  On board with animal print trend or passing on it?  Feel free to share any other sources of tasteful animal print I have been missing out on!





No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers!