Friday, July 25, 2014

Beginners Sewing

Remember back at the beginning of the year when Melinda and I shared our goals for 2014? Well I finally took initiative on the creative aspect and started in a sewing class! My seamstress, and a wonderful family friend, offered to teach a beginners class for my older sister and me, plus two other ladies from town and it has been a ton of fun! Mrs. Loveless is a wonderful teacher and provides great snacks too.

 Since I have been remiss in updating y'all on my goals the past few months, I wanted to share with you a few of the projects I have completed in the sewing class. Keep in mind that I had only a little bit of experience before I started the class, and am entirely a beginner.


I made a lined tote bag, a zippered pouch, and a pillow with coordinating piping. The tote is lined in green, which you catch a glimpse of in the left corner. It also has three pockets on the inside! The matching pouch is also lined in green. Mrs. Loveless used the pouch to teach us how to sew with zippers. 

The pillow was a really exciting project because it is something I can make for my future house. Toss pillows can be so expensive! And learning how to make the piping was a big deal for me because it makes the pillow look much more professional.


I made this cute apron for my little sister since she is moving into an apartment in Atlanta in a few months (I have also been picking up kitchen goods at Habitat for her like a porcelain teapot with infuser and an angel food cake pan). Sorry about the poor picture quality, I gave it to her immediately after class and this was the only spot in her bedroom that wasn't totally covered in stuff. There is a pocket all the way through the apron between the two layers. We also learned a bit about pleats by putting one in on each side of the bottom layer.

All of these projects were challenging but doable. If you have been interested in learning how to sew, I definitely recommend it! Mrs. Loveless is already helping me think of Christmas presents that I can make for family members. And hopefully I will have a house in the near future so I can start really sewing away.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers!