Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Posh Purpose Recipe: Vitamix Smoothie Making Formula

I've become a pretty regular smoothie maker since receiving our Vitamix as a wedding present.  I love that I can get tons of vitamins and a good portion of my daily intake of fruits and veggies in one cup.  The Vitamix is especially wonderful for many many many reasons that will make your eyes glaze over if I tell you them, but among them is that it easily handles harder fruits and veggies like apples and carrots that a regular blender (even a powerful one) can't handle.  The Vitamix comes with a cookbook of all different types of smoothie recipes, but I believe I've found an easy to remember formula that will let you keep your cookbook in the cabinet and using whatever you have on hand.

Posh Purpose Vitamix Smoothie Making Formula
1. Fill bottom third of Vitamix with squishy, juicy, room temperature fruit - this would include bananas, oranges, ripe peaches, and berries
2. Fill next third of Vitamix with hard or dense veggies and fruits - items like apples, carrots, celery, zucchini - this is also a good time to put in any sort of supplement powder, chia seeds, lime or lemon juice, or ginger
3. Fill last third with leafy veggies and top with 10-12 regular sized ice cubes - spinach and kale are packed with nutrients and you won't taste them with all the flavors from #'s 1-2 - I put a ton of leafy greens in, because the ice will pack them down.

Emerald Smoothie
Image Source: Vitamix
My favorite combo right now is: 1 orange (or 3 clementines), 1 banana, 1 apple, good sized handful of carrots, chia seeds, ginger, and 2 cups of spinach.  This formula will make enough for two large cups.  I'm able to split my smoothie with Mr. 3, but I wouldn't recommend saving it because it will start to turn brown once the fruits and veggies are exposed to air (green smoothie = yummy, brown smoothie =trash).

Although this formula is for Vitamix users, regular blender owners could probably omit the denser veggies in #2 and still use the rest of the formula.

Anyone else love their Vitamix?  Who's gotten on the smoothie band wagon?

1 comment:

  1. Trying to buy the right Best Buy Hand Blender for home? then go to this website to find the right blender for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers!